HOW CAN YOU HAVE THE BEST FEAST EVER?
by: Bill Bratt, Portsmouth, Ohio
Do you have FEAST FEVER? Do you find your temperture rising with excitement
as you think and plan for this year's feast of tabernacles?
There is an old saying: never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
We need to plan for a successful feast.
Let's look at four points in Planning for this year's Feast to make it the BEST FEAST EVER!
Point #1: DEVELOP A CHECKLIST
Take a piece of paper and begin writing down the things that you need to
do before leaving for the feast and the items you want to take:
- Motel reservations
- Stop newspaper
- Stop mail
- Car: oil, lube, filter, tires, etc.
- Camera and film
- Travelers checks
- Alarm clock
Now you will have to admit that if you went to the feast and forgot any of
these items, then this could have created some stress for yourself at the
A checklist is one way to plan to have the BEST FEAST EVER.
Point #2: PLAN SOME ACTIVITIES AHEAD OF TIME
Each feast site is unique. Each site offers something special, perhaps
the beach, water falls, theme parks, amusement rides, skiing, horse back
riding, camping, hiking, historical attractions, etc. To find out about
activities and restuarants you can write to the chamber of commerce of
the festival site city and request infomation. You could also get on
your computer and search out information or contact your automobile
association for maps and information. Perhaps the best way is to talk
to friends and people who have been there before.
Talk to the family after you receive your information of activities and
plan some activities ahead of time. This helps to build excitement in
going to the feast, especially with little children.
Point #3: PRAY FOR THE BEST FEAST EVER
Start praying ahead of time that God will bless this year's feast of
James 5:16 says: "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
- Pray for the sites where God will be putting His name.
- Pray that these sites will be safe havens for God's people, where
they can worship God in peace and harmony, eat good clean food and
participate in wholesome activities and recreation.
- Pray that God would inspire the speaking and the hearing.
- Pray that the sermon messages
will be positive, uplifting and beneficial to all the brethren.
- Pray for God's protection for all of God's people, while they are traveling to, during and from the feast.
- Pray for a positive attitude for yourself, your family and all of God's people.
It seems that at this time of year, Satan tries to influence us with trials
and tests to see if he can get us into a bad attitude. Don't let little anoyances bother you while you are at the festival site. Be patient.
When you go to a restarurant or a recreational activity there
will be longer lines to wait in due to the influx of people attending the
Pray for the BEST FEAST EVER.
Point #4: SERVE THE BEST FEAST EVER
Plan now to serve at the feast. There are many ways to serve:
You can serve by:
- Volunteer to be an usher, sing in the choir or work in the first-aid room.
Serve up a smile. Proverbs 18:24 says: "a man who has friends must himself be friendly."
- Giving rides to services.
- Send cards or telphone those at home who could not attend.
- Keep your hotel room neat.
- Leave a generous tip for the maid.
- Leave a generous tip for the waiter or the waitress.
- Offer to babysit so a couple can have an evening alone.
- Invite fatherless children and their mothers to an activity.
- Include those with nonmember mates in activities.
- Make someone new in the Church feel welcome.
- Pick up pieces of paper and trash on the floor.
The main ingredient in being friendly is to smile. It's FREE!
It does not cost anything to smile. You can use your smile to break
the ice in talking with a stranger. Your smile will put both of you
at ease so you can begin a conversation with your new friend.
If you apply these four points you will have the BEST FEAST EVER.
- Develop a checklist.
- Plan some activities ahead of time.
- Pray for the Best Feast ever.
- Serve at the Feast.