B i b l e S t u d y
Lesson: Interesting Bible Facts
1. The shortest reign in the Bible.
King Zirnri ruled Israel for seven days and then committed suicide by burning down his palace around himself (1 Kings 16:15).
2. The Longest Reign in the Bible.
King Manasseh started his reign when he was twelve years old, and ruled Judah for fifty-five years (2 Kings 21:1).
3. The Youngest King in the Bible.
Joash (also known as Jehoash) was seven years old when he began to reign as king of Judah. He reigned for forty years (2 Chronicles 24:1).
4. The Largest Assembled Army in the Bible.
Zerah the Ethiopian had a host of one million, which he brought against King Asa (2 Chronicles 14:9).
5. The Largest Numbers in the Bible.
1. The largest general number is "thousands of millions." Rebekah's family blessed her by saying, "Be thou the mother of thousands of millions" (Genesis 24:60).
2. The largest specific number is the army of 200 million horsemen mentioned in Revelation (9:16).
6. The Longest Book in the Old Testament.
The longest book in the Old Testament is Psalms, with 150 chapters and a total of 2,461 verses. Psalms is also the longest book in the whole Bible.
7. The Shortest Book in the Old Testament.
The shortest book in the Old Testament is Obadiah, which is comprised of twenty-one verses with a total of only 670 words.
8.. The Longest Book in the New Testament.
The longest book in the New Testament is Luke, which has 1,151 verses.
9. The Shortest Book in the New Testament.
The shortest book in the New Testament is 2 John, which is comprised of thirteen verses with a total of only 298 words, thus making it the shortest book in the whole Bible.
10. The Longest Chapter in the Bible.
The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119, which has 176 verses.
11. The Shortest Chapter in the Bible.
The shortest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 117, which has only two verses with a total of thirty-three words.
12. The Two Shortest Verses in the Bible.
1. Jesus wept (John 11:35).
2. Eber, Peleg, Reu (1 Chronicles 1:25 ).
13. The Longest Verse in the Bible.
The longest verse in the Bible is Esther 8:9, which contains ninety words.
14. The Total Number of Verses in the Bible.
The total number of verses in the Bible is 30,442 (Old Testament: 22,485; New Testament: 7,957).
15. The Oddest Verse in the Bible.
At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar (1 Chronicles 26:18).
16. The Total Number of Words in the Bible.
In round numbers, the total number of words in the Bible is 845,000 (Old Testament: 647,000; New Testament: 198,000).
17. The Most-Used Words in the Bible.
The most-used word in the Bible is ‘the’, which appears approximately 58,000 times. The most-used noun in the Bible is ‘Lord’, which appears 7,736 times (non-capitalized usages also counted).
18. The Two Longest Words in the Bible.
Two names tie for the honor of being the longest words in the Bible: Jonathelemrechokim and Mahershalalhashbaz. Both names have eighteen letters in them. Jonathelemrechokim is found in the title of Psalm 56 and means "a silent dove of far off lands." Mahershalalhashbaz is found in Isaiah 8:1 and 8:3; it is the name of Isaiah's son, and means "spoil speedeth, prey hasteth."
19. The Shortest Prayer in the Bible.
When Peter was walking on the water and became afraid, he cried out, "Lord, save me" (Matthew 14:30)-the shortest prayer in the Bible.
20. The Longest Prayers in the Bible.
1. Since it is directed toward God, Psalm 119 may be considered the longest prayer in the Bible.
2. The longest prayer that is not a Psalm is found in Nehemiah 9:5-38. It is a prayer of praise, confession, and covenant.
3. The longest prayer in the New Testament is Jesus' prayer, found in John 17.
21. The Biggest Animal in the Bible.
The biggest animal in the Bible is the whale. It is mentioned in the first chapter of the first book of the Bible (Genesis 1:21).
22. The Five Smallest Things Mentioned in the Bible.
1. David said to King Saul, After whom is the king of Israel come out? . . . after a flea (1 Samuel 24:14).
2. King Solomon, said, Go to the ant, thou sluggard (Proverbs 6:6).
3. Jesus said, One jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law (a tittle is a small part of a Hebrew letter) (Matthew 5:18).
4. Jesus said, Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel (Matthew 23:24).
5. Jesus said, A grain of mustard seed is the smallest seed of all the seeds in the earth (Mark 4:31).
- - - - - - - - - - -
Source: Meredith’s Complete Book of Bible Lists