B i b l e S t u d y
Lesson: What is the Bible Name for Godís
1. Was there a church in existence while the children of Israel were in the wilderness?
"This is He, that was in the church in the wilderness . . . " Acts 7:38.
2. After Christ was born into the world, have we the promise of a church being in existence through the coming ages?
Jesus said, "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock (Jesus) I will build my church, and the gates of Hades (the grave) will not prevail against it," Matthew 16:18.
3. Who is the head of this church?
"And He [Christ] is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; that in all things He might have the pre-eminence," Colossians 1:18.
4. Since Christ is the head of the church, then who is the head of Christ?
"But I would have you know that the head of every man is Christ . . . and the head of Christ is God," 1 Corinthians 11:3.
5. As God is the head of Christ, and Christ built His church upon God the great head, by what name is this church called?
"Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God," 1 Corinthians 10:32.
6. Is the Church of God in Christ Jesus?
"For you, brothers, became imitators of God's churches in Judea, which are in Christ Jesus," 1 Thessalonians 2:14.
7. What church did Christ purchase with His own blood?
"Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood," Acts 20:28.
8. What church was located at Corinth?
"Unto the Church of God, which is at Corinth," 1 Corinthians 1:2.
9. What are the members of this church called to be?
"Unto the Church of God . . . to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints," 1 Corinthians 1:2.
10 By what are the lives of the saints or members of the Church of God governed?
"Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus," Revelation 14:12.
11. Of what church did Paul persecute?
"For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God," 1 Corinthians 15:9. See also Galatians 1:13.
NOTE: At first we find the Apostle Paul was a persecutor of the Church of God, but after his conversion he became a member of the family he had, at one time tried to tear down. Even at the time of his conversion he was on a mission of persecution, but on the way he was stricken down. Being informed what to do he went forth from that place, no more to oppose Christ and His cause, but to become the greatest writer of the New Testament. May those who read these lines, if they oppose the name Church of God and the cause for which it stands, see the truth as did Paul of old, immediately turn from the way of disobedience, and be submissive to the will of God.
12. What is the Biblical Name for God's Church?
The Bible reveals the name of God's Church in 12 different places; 12 is God's number for, organizational beginnings.
In five passages where the name of the Church appears, the entire Body of Christ - the Church as a whole - is indicated. Thus when speaking of the entire Church, including all its individual members on earth, the name is "the Church of God." Here are these five passages:
1) Acts 20:28 - the elders were admonished to "shepherd the church of God."
2) 1 Corinthians 10:32: "Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God."
3) I Corinthians 11:22: "Or do you despise the church of God... ?"
4) I Corinthians 15:9 - Paul wrote, "I persecuted the church of God."
5) Galatians 1:13 - here Paul repeats the statement he made to the Corinthians: "I persecuted the church of God."
Nowhere is the Church called after the name of some man or doctrine.
Where one specific local congregation is mentioned, the Church is called "the Church of God," often in connection with the place where the congregation was located. Here are four more passages:
6) 1 Corinthians 1:2: "The church of God which is at Corinth."
7) 2 Corinthians 1:1: "The church of God which is at Corinth."
8) 1 Timothy 3:5 - in speaking of a local elder in a local congregation, Paul wrote to Timothy, "For if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?"
9) 1 Timothy 3:15: "I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God."
In speaking of the local congregations collectively - not as one General Body, but as the total of all local congregations - the Bible name is "the churches of God." Here are the final three verses:
10) 1 Corinthians 11:16: "We have no such custom, nor do the churches of God. "
11) 1 Thessalonians 2:14: "For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God which are in Judea in Christ Jesus."
12) 2 Thessalonians 1:4: "So that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God."
In some New Testament instances, a descriptive adjective is added to the name, as in the case of the Church of God at Corinth or the churches of God in Judea, to show the location of the Church.
Since Christ is the Head of the Church, Paul also called the various congregations "the churches of Christ" (Romans 16:16). But the actual name is "the Church of God." It is kept in the name of the Father (John 17:11).
In Conclusion: These verses prove the Biblical name of the Church. This Church of God will obey all the commandments of God and maintain the faith delivered once for all time to the Saints of God. What is the name of your church?